There are certain foods that have gained a new status in the health community. Welcome to the world of Super Foods. These nutrition powerhouses can improve your health in countless ways; by lowering your risk of heart disease and stroke, boosting your energy, and by fine tuning both your focus and your mental sharpness. These super foods have been proven to help you get healthier, stronger, and to function better overall.
Take a look at the foods that are now considered Super Foods. These foods have been shown to be the cornerstone of a healthier diet:
1. Sweet Potatoes – You’ll find loads of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. Cook sweet potatoes in many ways including baked or mashed, as well as in soups, and roasted.
2. Blueberries – Antioxidants are definitely a healthy plus, and blueberries are a source that is well worth considering. Also, you’ll find huge amounts of vitamin C and fiber. Blueberries make a healthy treat and they’re easy to eat on their own, or in smoothies, baked goods, and in sauces.
3. Bananas – Potassium is an important nutrient to make your body function properly. It is the metabolism support that keeps your body burning energy efficiently. Bananas also contain a healthy dose of vitamin B6. Bananas have long been considered a health food, and now have moved up to super health food status.
4. Broccoli – Vitamin C and folic acid are essential to make your brain function properly. How important is that?! If you are not a fan of the taste of broccoli, kick it up a bit with spices, cheese, or dip. Heat up your oven and put your broccoli florets on a baking sheet to roast and create a nutty flavor.
5. Spinach – Talk about super foods! This is one of the best leafy green vegetables for your diet. To list a few nutrients, let’s just start with folate, potassium, magnesium, iron, etc. etc. etc. Enjoy this powerhouse fresh, sauteed, steamed or creamed in many dishes.
6. Apples – So now you know there’s truth to the old saying; “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Apples contain many of the benefits of the other super food fruits, as well as a respectable fiber content. Apples are also a low-glycemic index food. This powerhouse can help you stay full and may help with weight loss, too.
7. Beans – Protein, fiber, and calcium are just some of the benefits of this low-glycemic super food. Whether you enjoy black beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans, or Navy beans, to name a few, you will have the additional benefit of a lower risk of colon cancer because of the unique way beans are digested. For the healthiest beans, cook dried beans or be sure to rinse canned beans thoroughly.
8. Yogurt – Looking for the healthiest way to get your dairy? Consider yogurt. In addition to being an excellent source of calcium, yogurt has also been shown to improve digestive health overall. Yogurt can be eaten as a snack as is, or used in drinks, desserts, sauces, and soups.
9. Salmon – All fish is considered a smart choice for your healthy diet. However, salmon is considered a super food because of the high dose of omega 3s. Omega 3s have many health benefits, almost too numerous to count. We’re talking heart health, brain health, lung health, immunity health, anti-inflamatory benefits, antioxidants, free-radical defense, and on and on. If you’re planning to eat a healthier diet, salmon is a must.
10. Olive Oil – The different types of oil may be confusing, but you can be reassured that olive oil is one that is recommended as a super food in your diet. It’s a good idea to keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way. Olive oil can lower bad cholesterol levels and it also contains a healthy amount of antioxidants. Have a few varieties on hand and learn the best use for each.
11. Dark Chocolate – This is usually the shocker on the super foods list. Dark chocolate, in small amounts each day, can lower your blood pressure, and contains antioxidants. Remember, the higher the cacao ratio in the chocolate, the better the chocolate will be for you. This is by no means an excuse to eat that handful of M&M’s or kisses. Be choosy, buy the best you can afford, and enjoy in moderation for the ultimate benefits to your health.
12. Citrus Fruit – The sweet taste of citrus fruits makes this super food easy to enjoy and a popular choice for most healthy diets. However, you’ll still want to eat citrus fruits in moderation because they have a high sugar content. But, the upside is that citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, fiber, and folic acid. Take advantage of the healthy benefits of citrus fruits if you have a sweet tooth, rather than sneaking a cookie or piece of cake.
There are still more foods that are earning the title of super food, but this list will get you started in the right direction planning to eat healthier. Rather than just choose lower calorie, or lower fat, or lower sugar, or lower carb foods to eat, choose foods that actually add super powers to your healthy diet.
p.s. Are you struggling trying to figure out what to eat to live a healthier life? Are you tired of hearing words like “diet” and “exercise?” How would you like to just EAT HEALTHIER and MOVE MORE? It’s time to become A Healthier You! Find out what a membership in this exciting community has to offer. Don’t ignore your own health any longer! Visit us and join A Healthier You today!